Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good comparison between the new Si and Elantra Sport - it's actually lacking the usual prejudice against Hyundai. Great to see a comparison without bias. It would; however, be good to provide BOTH price independent and price dependent conclusions. Based on what I paid (in NorCal) for my ES and the rumored dealer markups for the Si, I can add a pristine 2008 Ducati 848 with only 7500 miles on the odometer to my garage and STILL come in under the price of an Si!

https://www.cars.com/articles/5-differences-2017-hyundai-elantra-sport-vs-2017-honda-civic-si-1420696075207/

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It surprises me how many people don't know that the 6MT ES is always in sport mode, hence why it doesn't have one...

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's kind of weird that when they talk pricing they compare the Si to a fully loaded Elantra Sport?

Another review I was watching (The Fast Lane on Youtube) made a comment that you can't fully disable traction/stability control on the Si. If that's the case, that's a bit weird. Honda usually lets you fully disable it.

The Civic Si is clearly the more performance oriented car of the bunch which makes sense. Hyundai made the Elantra Sport to compare to the Civic Sport, not the Civic Si. Yet again magazines are comparing the car to a car it wasn't designed to compete with. That's either a compliment for the Elantra Sport or an oversight just about every single time one of these is made. Both are super nice cars though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It surprises me how many people don't know that the 6MT ES is always in sport mode, hence why it doesn't have one...
One plus of the DCT having a Sport button is that a tuner can possibly give two tunes on the same ECU/TCU combo. One for smooth city/commute driving, and another for spirited and track driving. With the Manual, you don't have to worry about transmission programming of course, but who knows? Maybe having a more relaxed tune in the city and an aggressive one like the DCT would be nice. I haven't driven the 6MT on more than the test drive.

The normal mode really helps the DCT be super smooth in the city. It can almost be confused for an auto with its smoothness.

·
Registered
108 Posts
They compare the Premium Sport to the Civic Si because the features of both are near equal. As is the price. Sunroof, upgraded stereo etc. Would be unfair to do a comparison between the two cars and lowball with the Elantra Sport several thousand less, but with less options. BTW you can indeed disable traction control on the Si. It takes several steps to do so. You can thank the lawyers for this.

And yes no doubt, both are great cars. I'd love to see a full on comparison drag and track. Probably should include a stock Civic EX-T manual and a GTI. Just for the fun of it. These reviews don't usually mention the insane rebates from Hyundai either. Which is also unfair to compare. But we all know what the best "Bang for the Buck is". Whether mentioned in print or not.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When they try.

For most of Hyundai's automobiles, sports intentions are not really existent. The four attempts that were deliberate, three succeeded and one almost. The Genesis Coupe, ES and the new GT Sport have all received positive reviews from most and compared well with others. I own a ES and have driven a VT. The VT was alright but I found it skiddish for handling. This is the complaint for most reviews for the VT as well. (If anyone has a VT and does not find it skiddish, I can not ague that with you, It was my opinion which is no better than your's) The fact that the ES is competitive with a SI is a positive. I prefer the German inspired (my opinion) of the ES and do not feel as though I have purchased an inferior entry level sports sedan due to power or handling. That was a good review and there are a couple of others that put the ES and SI close. Splitting hairs almost. The most important part though no matter the review of someone else is. When you sit in your ES, you feel good about it. It is quick, handles very well and is comfortable. We need not hang our heads every time a SI goes by. This car full fills my needs and desires for now and is as good as I am for driving if not better. I believe the N division cars will continue this performance minded direction and from how well the ES performs those cars should do well in their categories as well. I hope that the Elantra Fastback N comes to Canada and measures up as well as the ES does. It will be my next car. I like the look of it as well.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The VT was alright but I found it skiddish for handling. This is the complaint for most reviews for the VT as well.
Probably from the torsion beam rear suspension. New Veloster coming next year should have IRS.

·
Registered
188 Posts
They compare the Premium Sport to the Civic Si because the features of both are near equal. As is the price. Sunroof, upgraded stereo etc. Would be unfair to do a comparison between the two cars and lowball with the Elantra Sport several thousand less, but with less options. BTW you can indeed disable traction control on the Si. It takes several steps to do so. You can thank the lawyers for this.

And yes no doubt, both are great cars. I'd love to see a full on comparison drag and track. Probably should include a stock Civic EX-T manual and a GTI. Just for the fun of it. These reviews don't usually mention the insane rebates from Hyundai either. Which is also unfair to compare. But we all know what the best "Bang for the Buck is". Whether mentioned in print or not.
Rebates are pretty hit or miss so I get why they wouldn't put that in there.

I was just looking up some specs on the Si. Motor Trend was pulling 0.97g out of it on the skid pad and 60-0 is over in 106 feet. The Elantra Sport, on the other hand, pulls 0.86g on the skid pad and 60-0 takes 120 feet. It seems to me the Elantra Sport was walking into a slaughter! Very impressive figures from the Si.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It seems to me the Elantra Sport was walking into a slaughter!
Only if you compare the two as competitors which a lot of publications are currently doing in error. What about the Civic Sport numbers?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Only if you compare the two as competitors which a lot of publications are currently doing in error. What about the Civic Sport numbers?
0-60: 7.1 seconds (Elantra Sport), 7.5 seconds (Civic Sport)
1/4: 15.4 @ 90.7 (Elantra Sport), 15.5 @ 91.5 (Civic Sport)
Skid pad: 0.86g (Elantra Sport), 0.88g (Civic Sport)
60-0 braking: 120ft (Elantra Sport), 115ft (Civic Sport)

That's just Motor Trend. I didn't look up anyone else. Respect to Honda for their performance (I'm a Honda fanboi), but for the price I paid for my car I'm more than happy to deal with the shortcomings. It's still a very fun car to drive no matter what results on paper say. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a total fan of my ES and just tried to tell my friend that she should stop and admire my buying prowess in choosing the ES. Sadly she drives a late model Boxter S and her husband a Model X. Whatever. They'll never know the pleasure of the ES!

I'll admit that if Honda had offered the Hatchback as an Si body choice I would have bought it without ever looking at the ES. And that would have been my loss!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
0-60: 7.1 seconds (Elantra Sport), 7.5 seconds (Civic Sport)
1/4: 15.4 @ 90.7 (Elantra Sport), 15.5 @ 91.5 (Civic Sport)
Skid pad: 0.86g (Elantra Sport), 0.88g (Civic Sport)
60-0 braking: 120ft (Elantra Sport), 115ft (Civic Sport)

That's just Motor Trend. I didn't look up anyone else. Respect to Honda for their performance (I'm a Honda fanboi), but for the price I paid for my car I'm more than happy to deal with the shortcomings. It's still a very fun car to drive no matter what results on paper say. :)
Yeah, see those numbers are a much better comparison.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rebates are pretty hit or miss so I get why they wouldn't put that in there.

I was just looking up some specs on the Si. Motor Trend was pulling 0.97g out of it on the skid pad and 60-0 is over in 106 feet. The Elantra Sport, on the other hand, pulls 0.86g on the skid pad and 60-0 takes 120 feet. It seems to me the Elantra Sport was walking into a slaughter! Very impressive figures from the Si.
I'm kinda curious just what the ES would do if it was on similar rubber as the Si. Tire Rack lists Goodyear Eagle F1 max performance summer tires as the standard equipment on the Si.

I'd volunteer my car as tribute if we can make this happen! :p

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm kinda curious just what the ES would do if it was on similar rubber as the Si. Tire Rack lists Goodyear Eagle F1 max performance summer tires as the standard equipment on the Si.

I'd volunteer my car as tribute if we can make this happen! :p
The Si has a summer tire option which is actually the only option on the car short of exterior color. The base Si has all-seasons but C&D tested their Si with summer rubber.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Si has a summer tire option which is actually the only option on the car short of exterior color. The base Si has all-seasons but C&D tested their Si with summer rubber.
It's strange C&D didn't mention the summer tires on the Si when comparing to the Elantra, especially because they make such a huge difference in performance. The Si they tested also had aftermarket brake pads.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's strange C&D didn't mention the summer tires on the Si when comparing to the Elantra, especially because they make such a huge difference in performance. The Si they tested also had aftermarket brake pads.
Probably them being biased towards the Honda. I'm very curious how the ES would be with summer tires. I just can't fathom spending the cash on another set of wheels and tires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I looked into getting a civic sport hatchback before I bought the Elantra. The price difference was over 2 grand counting incentives... I'd imagine a civic SI would be closer to a 4k difference. This car costs way less than a civic SI, a VW GTI, a focus ST, etc. Reviewers shouldn't be comparing them to the ES because they are way better and also more expensive. What I paid for my car could have gotten me a regular golf, Mazda 3, civic ex-t, Sentra turbo, or a fiesta ST. Why don't people compare it to those??? It makes our cars look bad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I looked into getting a civic sport hatchback before I bought the Elantra. The price difference was over 2 grand counting incentives... I'd imagine a civic SI would be closer to a 4k difference. This car costs way less than a civic SI, a VW GTI, a focus ST, etc. Reviewers shouldn't be comparing them to the ES because they are way better and also more expensive. What I paid for my car could have gotten me a regular golf, Mazda 3, civic ex-t, Sentra turbo, or a fiesta ST. Why don't people compare it to those??? It makes our cars look bad.
Because if they compared the Elantra Sport to its actual competitors, then it would make Hyundai look like they actually make good cars. Can't have that, now can we? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
214 Posts
the new si and the es have virtually the exact same engine power specs. i dont understand why ppl say the es isnt an si competitor.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts