Elantra Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been watching this site for a couple of months now, just getting an idea of what everyone thinks of the car. the Elantra sport is on my short list of car that will replace my current car. The list really is only SI or Elantra Sport. Number wise they're pretty much identical. The only thing the SI has more really is better suspension system as it has a LSD and adaptive dampers, which in daily driving isn't really needed. The Elantra severely undercuts the Si in price, and adds leather seats, and a much better infotainment system. In my mind these two cars are in the same class. Comparing it to the Si, GTI, and other cars as such should be a compliment to the Elantra, especially given the history of the other cars. Is the Elantra class leading? Probably not, but it isn't far off.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
45 Posts
Perfectly fair opinion. While the Civic Sport is probably a better comparison in terms of price, I agree with you that the average consumer would probably consider the Si, GTI, and the ST as well. I think what irks some people about the comparison though is the Elantra shouldn't be compared to those without mentioning the big price difference. It won't compete head-to-head in performance, but if someone wants something cheaper and is willing to sacrifice some performance, you can still have a lot of fun with the ES.

Personally I considered both the Civic Sport and the ST (I work at Ford). The ST is better of course, but costs quite a bit more and it's dated since the Focus has been around since 2012. I really like the way the Civic Sport hatchback looks, but the ES had things that swayed me such as warranty, 0% interest, and overall great value for the money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am in the same boat and have been sitting on a car purchase for the better part of 8-9 months. The car only undercuts the Si because of rebates as the sticker isn't too far off. I have been looking on the Civic forums and generally, you can get the Si for about 22.5 (purchase price) but looks like you can get the ES for about 17-18 (Base purchase price) which is a nice chunk of change. However, it's not that easy for me. Gas mileage looks to considerably better in the Si which can be chalked up to a newer engine design. The LSD is a nice bonus as I do hoon from time to time but last but not least is resale value. I am sure I would be happy with the ES but once I land a stable job I will make the call. I am also holding off until this fall as they should be refreshing the Civic this year.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I am in the same boat and have been sitting on a car purchase for the better part of 8-9 months. The car only undercuts the Si because of rebates as the sticker isn't too far off. I have been looking on the Civic forums and generally, you can get the Si for about 22.5 (purchase price) but looks like you can get the ES for about 17-18 (Base purchase price) which is a nice chunk of change. However, it's not that easy for me. Gas mileage looks to considerably better in the Si which can be chalked up to a newer engine design. The LSD is a nice bonus as I do hoon from time to time but last but not least is resale value. I am sure I would be happy with the ES but once I land a stable job I will make the call. I am also holding off until this fall as they should be refreshing the Civic this year.
I've run my car hard in the mountains several times and haven't even noticed the lack of an LSD. It's never crossed my mind.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've run my car hard in the mountains several times and haven't even noticed the lack of an LSD. It's never crossed my mind.
Yeah, I run my car harder than most and have already autocrossed it a couple times. The lack of an LSD is hardly noticeable to me. People IMO that worry about it having LSD or not likely will never get the car to the point where one would make a difference. It’s all just regurgitated YouTube review comments.

·
Registered
137 Posts
but last but not least is resale value.
Do you want a guaranteed $4-5K in your pocket NOW, have a much better looking car with better warranty, and better reliability/quality ratings....or do you want the *possibility* of recouping the $4-5K difference in purchase price years from now when you sell your car?

·
Registered
55 Posts
valid point on the savings upfront. Warranty is nice but being a car guy so me having an Elantra for 10 years is highly unlikely. Also, I think JD power awards are a bunch of BS. 'Initial' quality... ok thanks I can tell that from touching around the interior. The real test is seeing how the car (mainly leather) holds up in 4-5 years. We'll see. I like both though (minus the cheese graters)

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Also, I think JD power awards are a bunch of BS. 'Initial' quality... ok thanks I can tell that from touching around the interior. The real test is seeing how the car (mainly leather) holds up in 4-5 years. We'll see. I like both though (minus the cheese graters)
You may not take them seriously, but as someone that works for a manufacture I can tell you that they do take them VERY seriously. In fact we went over the results in our weekly meeting today.

·
Registered
137 Posts
valid point on the savings upfront. Warranty is nice but being a car guy so me having an Elantra for 10 years is highly unlikely. Also, I think JD power awards are a bunch of BS. 'Initial' quality... ok thanks I can tell that from touching around the interior. The real test is seeing how the car (mainly leather) holds up in 4-5 years. We'll see. I like both though (minus the cheese graters)
It's not just JD power initial quality. They do well in the JD power dependability and CR reliability. They've also been #1 3 or 4 times recently in Germany's Auto Bild reliability study.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You may not take them seriously, but as someone that works for a manufacture I can tell you that they do take them VERY seriously. In fact we went over the results in our weekly meeting today.
Very interesting. I would love to hear more but #1 I'm sure others would be bored and #2 I doubt you can divulge much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's not just JD power initial quality. They do well in the JD power dependability and CR reliability. They've also been #1 3 or 4 times recently in Germany's Auto Bild reliability study.
You all make good points. Thats why its in the running. As many have said on this site, Hyundai/Kia have made great strides in making fun, reliable cars in recent time. I remember in the mid 2000s my roommate at the time had a Sonata which had recently been redesigned and we commented how nice it was and how they were moving in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Very interesting. I would love to hear more but #1 I'm sure others would be bored and #2 I doubt you can divulge much.
It pretty much comes down to what JDP shows as problems, which in turn puts us in a direction to fix them, so that in the next ranking we see positive change. I mean we have 13 years of fixing issues with the Frontier and it shows in the rankings because it was #1 in it's class by a mile. Granted when the new truck comes out with all the new bells and whistles, it'll probably drop like a rock. But yes, it has a large influence on what we do.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It pretty much comes down to what JDP shows as problems, which in turn puts us in a direction to fix them, so that in the next ranking we see positive change. I mean we have 13 years of fixing issues with the Frontier and it shows in the rankings because it was #1 in it's class by a mile. Granted when the new truck comes out with all the new bells and whistles, it'll probably drop like a rock. But yes, it has a large influence on what we do.
Interesting about the Frontier, I really like those trucks and figured they'd be pretty solid because they're an old design. Gas mileage is kinda bad, but I wouldn't mind a 6 speed manual 4x4 Frontier. I've liked the compact Nissan Trucks since I was a kid, back in the Nissan hard body days.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Interesting about the Frontier, I really like those trucks and figured they'd be pretty solid because they're an old design. Gas mileage is kinda bad, but I wouldn't mind a 6 speed manual 4x4 Frontier. I've liked the compact Nissan Trucks since I was a kid, back in the Nissan hard body days.
It's a good solid truck if you don't care about fuel mileage and an old, ugly interior. We've still sold 35k of them this year so far which is actually more than the same time last year.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, I run my car harder than most and have already autocrossed it a couple times. The lack of an LSD is hardly noticeable to me. People IMO that worry about it having LSD or not likely will never get the car to the point where one would make a difference. It’s all just regurgitated YouTube review comments.
You must have some fast autocross courses because I've noticed it each and every time I've autocrossed mine. I've had to completely change my line on corner entry to maximize traction on corner exits if it's a sharp, tight, turn followed by a nice straight. If I take a traditional tight entry line I cannot get on the throttle nearly as quickly. I've found that taking a wide entry in and exiting in as straight a line as possible (with a late apex) allows me to get the power down better and it's good for 0.2-0.3 tenths depending on the length of the following straight. That's with OEM tires, though. I finally changed to some grippier rubber so we'll see how it goes. I'm guessing that grip will now cause more body roll which, combined with my lighter wheels, may cause even more inside wheelspin instead of fixing it in those same corners. The additional grip gained throughout the course will easily make up for that though.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
You'll notice it more on tight courses. My usual mountain run is long sweeping fast corners and it's never been an issue.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You must have some fast autocross courses because I've noticed it each and every time I've autocrossed mine. I've had to completely change my line on corner entry to maximize traction on corner exits if it's a sharp, tight, turn followed by a nice straight. If I take a traditional tight entry line I cannot get on the throttle nearly as quickly. I've found that taking a wide entry in and exiting in as straight a line as possible (with a late apex) allows me to get the power down better and it's good for 0.2-0.3 tenths depending on the length of the following straight. That's with OEM tires, though. I finally changed to some grippier rubber so we'll see how it goes. I'm guessing that grip will now cause more body roll which, combined with my lighter wheels, may cause even more inside wheelspin instead of fixing it in those same corners. The additional grip gained throughout the course will easily make up for that though.
I’m fairly new to auto X so I also wasn’t pushing the car as hard as I normally would say on some undesignated twisty roads or an actual track. I didn’t have much of an issue with traction but I also have a DCT car so not sure if that makes a difference.

Looking forward to learning a ton more with auto X though. I prefer track days on a road course as that’s what I did in my old Coyote mustang but auto x is a ton cheaper and easier to get to.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You'll notice it more on tight courses. My usual mountain run is long sweeping fast corners and it's never been an issue.
I notice it with hard (sudden) acceleration when exiting most corners, regardless of radius. I have to modulate the accelerator (traction control off) if I don't hit it correctly (too hard and/or too soon). Traction control just cuts/interrupts power and basically sucks.
An electronically controlled, mechanical LSD would allow me to keep the traction control off permanently.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I notice it with hard (sudden) acceleration when exiting most corners, regardless of radius. I have to modulate the accelerator (traction control off) if I don't hit it correctly (too hard and/or too soon). Traction control just cuts/interrupts power and basically sucks.
An electronically controlled, mechanical LSD would allow me to keep the traction control off permanently.
I'm talking like 40+ mph corners. You're not going to notice it there. I certainly don't, and I've been doing this for longer than I'd like to admit.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts