Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you do to the Elantra Sport without voiding the powertrain warranty? Intake and exhaust only? BOV? Tune/flash? Another 25hp/tq would be great... not too risky on the motor, clutch, or fuel system.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
What can you do to the Elantra Sport without voiding the powertrain warranty? Intake and exhaust only? BOV? Tune/flash? Another 25hp/tq would be great... not too risky on the motor, clutch, or fuel system.
Technically you can do whatever you want. It really depends on the dealership and how picky they are. By law a manufacture has to prove that an aftermarket part caused a failure. Even then, they can only void warranty on the part that failed, not the entire powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same. I know nothing about mods but would love to have a nicer exhaust sound and maybe delete the muffler. I tried reading the manual but doesn't really say exactly what will void the warranty.. instead I think it says in general just aftermarket parts are not recommended or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Technically you can do whatever you want. It really depends on the dealership and how picky they are. By law a manufacture has to prove that an aftermarket part caused a failure. Even then, they can only void warranty on the part that failed, not the entire powertrain warranty.
I agree to an extent. Eg. Remove factory intake/exhaust. Install aftermarket intake/exhaust/get tuned. Clutch starts giving out 10k miles later. Put car back to stock then bring car in for service. I'm not saying this is what people should do, it's shady & parallels a fraud case. But I'm sure it's happened. When it comes to tuning, that's where I think the legitimate concern starts. If I'm not mistaken, the computer would be tied to the VIN, and the computer would show it was "modified?" Obviously with more power comes greater risk on factory parts not designed to handle more. To me that seems like an easy argument for the company to make. Happy to hear more opinions/perspectives on the subject.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I agree to an extent. Eg. Remove factory intake/exhaust. Install aftermarket intake/exhaust/get tuned. Clutch starts giving out 10k miles later. Put car back to stock then bring car in for service. I'm not saying this is what people should do, it's shady & parallels a fraud case. But I'm sure it's happened. When it comes to tuning, that's where I think the legitimate concern starts. If I'm not mistaken, the computer would be tied to the VIN, and the computer would show it was "modified?" Obviously with more power comes greater risk on factory parts not designed to handle more. To me that seems like an easy argument for the company to make. Happy to hear more opinions/perspectives on the subject.
That's why when you are ready for a tune you buy a spare ECU. Some tunes even come with one included in the price. Have the spare matched to the car, then tune it. If you need to go back to stock, just put the original back in the car. A lot of people do it, and it's what I will be doing as well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's why when you are ready for a tune you buy a spare ECU. Some tunes even come with one included in the price. Have the spare matched to the car, then tune it. If you need to go back to stock, just put the original back in the car. A lot of people do it, and it's what I will be doing as well.
question though, wouldnt the dealer see that the ecu was removed at some point by logging that it does? that is, would the ecu show that there was a gap in the miles or something during the time that it was out?

exactly how much does the ecu tell when its hooked up to the ecu reader at the dealership?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
question though, wouldnt the dealer see that the ecu was removed at some point by logging that it does? that is, would the ecu show that there was a gap in the miles or something during the time that it was out?

exactly how much does the ecu tell when its hooked up to the ecu reader at the dealership?
Great question. Would like to know more about this.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts

Not sure about the mileage but there would really be no other way to tell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.