Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up Team Elantra Sport!! First off I love my very first "brand new" car, it has less than 200 miles as of this story. I haven't driven a manual in about 10 years. That being said I've been mostly very sensitive to my Elantra (maybe too sensitive), for the break in period, with a few accidental exceptions :(. The following being the more severe IMO...So I was in 5th on the high way and saw traffic back up pretty much to a stand still. So decided to try to downshift, but im rusty, so i panicked a little and dropped to 3rd and did not rev match! :mad: Did i break something?? I mean its been driving ok but I've been mind F'ed since then... so am i being to paranoid? Any technical experience or expertise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Whats up Team Elantra Sport!! First off I love my very first "brand new" car, it has less than 200 miles as of this story. I haven't driven a manual in about 10 years. That being said I've been mostly very sensitive to my Elantra (maybe too sensitive), for the break in period, with a few accidental exceptions :(. The following being the more severe IMO...So I was in 5th on the high way and saw traffic back up pretty much to a stand still. So decided to try to downshift, but im rusty, so i panicked a little and dropped to 3rd and did not rev match! :mad: Did i break something?? I mean its been driving ok but I've been mind F'ed since then... so am i being to paranoid? Any technical experience or expertise would be appreciated.
You're being very paranoid lol. It's fine just don't do it again. If you heard a CLUNCK its because you didn't rev-match and you prob jumped the car a lot. Relax. I had a friend drive a brand-new SS Camaro from 5th to 2nd without matching and it sound like he hit something in the road, but his mom still has the same car and it's fine. Again, don't do it again. One gear at a time for re-learning homie.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol yeah, thanks a lot! I've been extra ginger with it since. I appreciate the insight. I just kept thinking how embarrassing it would be to have to get a clutch replaced with less than 1k miles on the odo. smdh, thanks again.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
As they said, you're good. Also, only post in one section next time. :D

Reactions: BxHSport17

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you make a mistake, just clutch-in, don't let the issue play out. Anyone is prone to grabbing the wrong gear from time to time, just experience will let you know, something didn't work long before any real issue can occur, the quick fix is to clutch in and start again. Plus, even if you forgot to rev-match, you don't just drop the clutch, you will(while rather quickly) still ease off the clutch, on a rev-match.
Had you ease off the clutch slower, instead of just letting off, you would picked-up on a problem very early, before full clutch engagement, and been able to correct it, and then most certainly would not have any damage, and avoid all the clucking, car weight shifting, etc.

Having said that, and as other have said, it's highly unlikely anything would be damaged, even in your case.

At least you know the correct concept of rev-matching, I see so many "I know how to drive manual" guys that have no idea about rev-matching, and just drop it down

1 - 6 of 6 Posts