Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, bought my new 18 ES manual and just reached 100 miles.

Here is the issue. When in 2nd or 3rd gear and under 2k - 2.5k RPM, I hear a weird rattling/squeaking noise. It seems to be coming from somewhere near the pedals. Can't seem to pinpoint it. I thought it was the clutch, but I tested it by pressing the clutch in and out and no squeaking sound. It goes away once over 2.5k RPM and it does happen in lower RPM in 1st gear. Haven't heard it in any other gear because I never go that low in 4th, 5th, or 6th lol.

It sounds like a squeaking chair, but it is not coming from there.

Its a new car how can there be something loose or rattling!!?

Anyone else experiences this weird noise?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I haven't heard anything like that - I'd bring it in for service ASAP.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Its a new car how can there be something loose or rattling!!?
You'd be surprised how much is inspected on the assembly line, but some things slip through. If it's just that, a rattle, annoying yes but it happens. All it takes is the right frequency range to set it off. Best thing to do is track it down and figure out how to stop it. I only had one when I bought my car which was the drivers vanity light, but with some minor adjustment it went away and I've been rattle free since. (now at 15k miles)

Sometimes rattles are easy to track down and eliminate, not really a reason to go to the dealer unless it's unreachable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'd be surprised how much is inspected on the assembly line, but some things slip through. If it's just that, a rattle, annoying yes but it happens. All it takes is the right frequency range to set it off. Best thing to do is track it down and figure out how to stop it. I only had one when I bought my car which was the drivers vanity light, but with some minor adjustment it went away and I've been rattle free since. (now at 15k miles)

Sometimes rattles are easy to track down and eliminate, not really a reason to go to the dealer unless it's unreachable.
Been driving it around for the past hour and can't seem to pinpoint it. Definitely can hear it under low RPM in 2nd and 3rd gear. Weird that you can't hear in 1st. Didn't get to try in any other gear. This is driving me crazy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Best to bring it to a dealership and maybe record the rattling in case they can't recreate it.
Yeah I went in this past weekend to get my wheel locks and they didn't have much time to do a full diagnostic, so I have to drop off my car next Monday after the holidays to get it checked. Of course the mechanic couldn't replicate the noise and once I drove off the noise was very apparent. I also showed him a video and he immediately heard it.

The more I drove the vehicle this weekend and sitting in traffic, you can really hear the rattle noise. Even on idle and reving the engine you can hear the rattle noise between 1.5 to 2 RPM. I really hope hey can fix it. I'll keep this thread posted just in case anyone else has the same experience.

Here's a link to a video I recorded of the sound.

https://youtu.be/4vDpvQC1XU8

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sounds like steel, under the car. Maybe exhaust isn't' hung right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.