Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just remember that a lot of NA vehicles have that option Mitsubishi Evo included (last time I was really into tuning). Looking at a $300 buy versus $500 plus.

Easy wiring and you don't have to worry about the difficulty of flash tuning the ecu yourself. It stays flashed unless you have a spare stock ecu. Unless you can flash it back yourself. Looking for plug n play.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Piggyback? Quick and easy install. Able to remove to avoid warranty issues. Are these available yet?
Piggybacks for the most part are just signal modifiers. We have installed some on customers car and they just run terrible, to the point we think it may cause failure
So there is no piggy back system that is decent? There are alot of people running these in all kinds of cars but i dont hear about the damage. What makes them so prone to cause failure if they work within the safety tolerances of the system?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do yourself the favor and save the extra cash for Tork or Lap3s' tune. You will not regret it.
I get the ecu tune is better, just wanna know why this piggyback tune from lap3 is a bad idea. Nobody says why....When im ready to spend $ it might be with sxth tanner spent 30 minutes with me on the phone answering questions eagerly. He is quite passionate I like that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Protuner (Piggy back) from Lap 3 will offer the same performance with the flexibility of the phone app. Lap 3 did state that in the future if you decide to go with a big turbo then the ecu replacement is a better option. For what reasons, he did not go into it. I would assume it has something to do with the Protuner back not being able to adjust the necessary parameters. The installation of the Protuner is more involved than the ecu. That install was I kid you not, uber simple. If in the event you want to sell the tune, then the Protuner will be a better option for that is not coded specifically.

I get the ecu tune is better, just wanna know why this piggyback tune from lap3 is a bad idea. Nobody says why....When im ready to spend $ it might be with sxth tanner spent 30 minutes with me on the phone answering questions eagerly. He is quite passionate I like that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A piggy back is not a tune. The ECU has no idea what is going on with the car. it believes it is only pushing 12 psi when really it is pushing 18 for instance
Ok so the ECU has no way to know what changes were made, is this because it happens after the signal is sent from the ECU? WHat are safe PSI's ranges for a stock turbo? When should it be mandatory to upgrade the Boost Solenoid?

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
How long have you been running this module? How is the car performing?
Car performs very well. I have had NO issues. I drive in Sport + mode everyday. There is a very noticeable difference in power. Boost starts earlier and stays in it longer too. When you put it in race (RED) you will feel even more power and longer duration under boost too. Make sure your running 91 or 93 octane.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Car performs very well. I have had NO issues. I drive in Sport + mode everyday. There is a very noticeable difference in power. Boost starts earlier and stays in it longer too. When you put it in race (RED) you will feel even more power and longer duration under boost too. Make sure your running 91 or 93 octane.
How long has it been? Are you running stock?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got gifted a module to boost the PSI by 4 to 16-17 PSI, I'm hearing our turbo was toned down to 12 PSI so this PSI range would just be normal and safe ( was for the VT so they let me test free just wanted update on the gains, since it's the same engine,I hear the VT has a smaller turbo), I instantly felt the gains better torque for sure and boost kicks in the 2500 rpm range, better throttle response, nothing crazy, they said it would increase torque by 35 ft lbs. The only drawback was the harness clamp was to short to lock on so i had to duct tape it good ( they got good feedback to make revisions). I was thinking about an intake but with this module I don't think I will need one. Just a sway bar in the back and maybe some plugs, and boost solenoid. wanna stay as stock as possible. Ill keep you posted on the performance of this module, and how my car reacts, it's about $130 from Sawyer Tuning the St9 pro, very reasonable price for the performance I'm feeling, no intake or muffler delete will do this ( those things are just overpriced compared to the performance you get esp the intakes). I had a lot of questions for this company and they answered all of them really fast, so again I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I just got gifted a module to boost the PSI by 4 to 16-17 PSI, I'm hearing our turbo was toned down to 12 PSI so this PSI range would just be normal and safe
Stock pressure can actually peak at ~18psi

I hear the VT has a smaller turbo
It's actually bigger.

maybe some plugs, and boost solenoid
I would run better plugs with any tune.

I'm feeling, no intake or muffler delete will do this ( those things are just overpriced compared to the performance you get esp the intakes).
They won't do much on the stock tune due to built-in power limiters. Having a tune + intake/exhaust will see a much better gain from those items.

Never heard of that company before, so good luck with that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stock pressure can actually peak at ~18psi

It's actually bigger.

I would run better plugs with any tune.

They won't do much on the stock tune due to built-in power limiters. Having a tune + intake/exhaust will see a much better gain from those items.

Never heard of that company before, so good luck with that.
According to voodoo it's the veloster that peaks at 18 PSI stock and that was the '14 the '15 and '16 where about 15 to 16. And the ES peaks at 12 PSI, ive seen that from tork also their test was 12 PSI steady

Voodoo the moderator "Yeah, those head studs stretch and cause gasket failure, as Tyson noted. I'm pretty sure that's what was wrong with my VT when I traded it in for the ES, and I think it's what caused the motor to let go 2 years prior. Certainly increased boost will make head stud stretching more likely. However, the ES peaks out around 12psi where the '14 VTs peaked at 18.5 and the 15s and 16s peaked around 16psi. The 15s and 16s were pretty safe to tune, so that should mean that you can add a whole lot more boost to an ES without too much worry. If you do the upgraded head studs and gasket then you'll be extremely safe."

I asked the Sawyer people what was peak boost they observed in the VT they told me 16 PSI which corresponds to Voodoo's post.

From what I have been reading the stock ES can handle a lot more and its underrated from the factory. Is this incorrect? Where is the reference for the Stock ES peaking at 18 PSI? It is interesting they put different turbos on the ES and VT but they have the same stats.

Im going to install a boost gauge , any turbo car should have that stock...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.