Elantra Sport Forum banner

881 - 900 of 935 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Hit up the drags since it's getting a little cooler out now. First run, major wheel hop. Which surprised me since I have poly control arm bushings which are supposed to help with that. Had to let off to keep it from breaking something, ended up being a 15.3 or something close to that. Second run, laid off the launch control this time and launched at a lower RPM. Still some hop, but major 1-wheel burnout in 2nd gear. Time was about the same. Intake temps were still in the 130-140 range, ambient around 75.

Let the car sit for about 30-45 minutes with the hood up, then decided to try again. This time around the staging lanes were a bit longer, and they had a track cleaning period so the car got nice and cool while we waited. (Almost too cool, engine temp was almost back to the Cold mark) So I let it run while the last few cars ahead of me went. I think the intake temps were around 110. I had put the front tires at 20psi and did a short burnout to clean them off before 3rd and final run. Again, launched at a lower RPM and besides some minor wheel hop, had good traction.

The result: 14.25 @ 99 mph. Somewhat pleased with that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Getting proper use of the car. Thanks to Albert Birman for the multi-link rear suspension, pretty much the main reason (among many) I bought the car over the Sentra Nismo.

Reactions: mightar

·
Registered
341 Posts
Tried indoor go-karting for the first time. I was 2 seconds off of a 15 second lap record. The employee lap record was in the 14s. 2x 12-lap “races” went by in a blur, if I had a few hours on track I don’t know where I could have found any more time. Very fun but it showed me HPDE isn’t for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Tried indoor go-karting for the first time. I was 2 seconds off of a 15 second lap record. The employee lap record was in the 14s. 2x 12-lap “races” went by in a blur, if I had a few hours on track I don’t know where I could have found any more time. Very fun but it showed me HPDE isn’t for me.
I've driven some very high performance road cars - my buddy used to have two Ferraris, turbo V12 Mercedes, and more - but none came close to the experience of driving a shifter kart on a full sized race track. I went to Sears Point (Infineon Raceway) a number of times as a kid and fantasized about driving on it, then got the chance when I got into the Northern California Karters Club, which only conducts races on big tracks. Unreal. Would love to try a 250 SuperKart.

·
Registered
341 Posts
... none came close to the experience of driving a shifter kart on a full sized race track. I went to Sears Point (Infineon Raceway) a number of times as a kid and fantasized about driving on it, then got the chance when I got into the Northern California Karters Club, which only conducts races on big tracks. Unreal. Would love to try a 250 SuperKart.
A full sized track would definitely improve the experience. My local track has 7-8 turns and a chicane, no real straights, and the employees could do it in under 15 seconds. My driving skills limited me to 2 seconds of WOT per lap, and the warehouse floor and my belly had me sliding through some of the turns. It was an electric kart with a 45mph max speed, but the instatorque was neck snapping. My forearms were barking when my 24 laps were over. I enjoy spirited canyon drives but this was much too intense for me to appreciate. I remember thinking that I might be able to go faster but I was barely hanging on as it was.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A full sized track would definitely improve the experience. My local track has 7-8 turns and a chicane, no real straights, and the employees could do it in under 15 seconds. My driving skills limited me to 2 seconds of WOT per lap, and the warehouse floor and my belly had me sliding through some of the turns. It was an electric kart with a 45mph max speed, but the instatorque was neck snapping. My forearms were barking when my 24 laps were over. I enjoy spirited canyon drives but this was much too intense for me to appreciate. I remember thinking that I might be able to go faster but I was barely hanging on as it was.
The slick tracks are fun and relentless. Typical outdoor "actual" kart tracks tend to have more substantial straights and a bit more breathing room, but are still very intense, and at much higher speeds and cornering/braking forces. Both can easily give you death grip Popeye forearms, along with sore ribs - rib cage can take a particularly hard beating on a real kart track. The car tracks are huge by karting standards, leave plenty of room for error and experimenting with lines, and simply beat the **** out of you much less. Pure pleasure.

·
Registered
49 Posts
de-modded it.
had a SXTH hot pipe that i took off and sold. originally had intentions of doing a custom/universal intercooler down the road along with a tune and other stuff, but after almost a year the car has mainly been a commuter for my wife and i haven't driven it for fun nearly as much as i'd thought i would.....and when i did, i didn't feel the need for more power on the twisty roads around my area. so i made the decision to keep the car stock power wise.

also took off my catch can. either because its a ebay mishimoto ripoff, or just in general i can smell the fumes from it at startup and at a stop (traffic lights etc). tried to find another accessible spot under the hood away from the firewall to minimize the smell but can't really make it work. I also CAN NOT be bothered to empty the bloody thing every week in the winter, so it was an easy choice to take it off. i'll deal with the dirty valves in the future

·
Registered
75 Posts
de-modded it.
had a SXTH hot pipe that i took off and sold.
Any reason beyond wanting to recover the cash that you removed the hot pipe? Did you get any advantages out of it beyond prep for future upgrades.

I get the catch can bit. Having to deal with it in Calgary winters is the sole reason I haven’t got one yet.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Any reason beyond wanting to recover the cash that you removed the hot pipe? Did you get any advantages out of it beyond prep for future upgrades.

I get the catch can bit. Having to deal with it in Calgary winters is the sole reason I haven’t got one yet.
Sometimes you have to make sacrifices so your car will love you. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
i Did a full detail on my car, as it’s cold enough now the snow won’t melt and make a mess for a while. I also cleaned and re applied leather conditioner to my leather upholstery.

·
Registered
49 Posts
you could hear the spool of the turbo more and at specific rpm it would almost sound like a boost leak. i checked multiple times and never found a leak. reading through others experience was difficult as many people said it was silent, others had a similar experience to myself including someone who did a full proper smoke test and didn't find a leak. that noise was a little annoying some days with the windows down and/or radio off, but didn't really contribute to my decision to remove it. power wise i had no other mods and figured if i'm not going to do more i might as well have none.
i want to say i did feel a difference going back to stock, but the change to cold weather and not driving the car much leading up to the swap could easily influence that feeling.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Changed the oil and emptied the catch cans.

·
Registered
341 Posts
CRC valve cleaning treatment and 54,000 mile oil change with Amazon Basics 5W-40. Assuming a 40mph average speed, I’ve spent about $10/hour to drive it for the last 2+ years.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Triggered limp mode somehow. Was just driving on the freeway, hit an offramp to a different freeway and was unable to accelerate to change lanes. I stayed in the slow lane, tried messing with gears but couldn't get anything but the most meager throttle response. I exited the freeway and took a side street for a few blocks when I realized I couldn't rev past 3000 RPM, even in neutral. No check engine light, no weird sights or smells, just an unresponsive throttle and a 3000 RPM rev limiter. I was scared to turn the car off so I got back on the freeway and made it home. You can get to just barely above 60 at 2250 RPM in 6th gear, I could not get the engine to rev past that in 6th, I got a bit past 3000 in gears 1-3. Once at home, I parked on the street and turned off the car. Started it back up and it reved like normal. Kinda scared as I don't know how I triggered it in the first place nor how to avoid doing it again.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
SuperPro front sway links.

SuperPro lower engine mount bushing. (this replaces the rear most bushing, seen top right next to the ratchet)

881 - 900 of 935 Posts