Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all so i just got home from the dealer addressing two issues my other thread (hiccups or problems) i was told it was carbon build up witch at 9000 kms seems odd but not the reason for this post so i had noticed about a week ago i had what looks like a crack to sum it up. In the paint on the passenger backk door about a inch under the chrome lip and window i pointed it out to the dealer and was told it will not rust or affect anything even tho its bubbled and then am suggested to have it fixed thru my warranty but that would include trusting them to then take my baby and repaint both front and back passenger doors. ( im assuming both full doors due to colour matching) my issue is i have 0% trust that it can be repainted without creating a absolute mess so with that said i guess i have 3 options to approach this from what i see. Should i A) leave it and deal with the minor unnoticeable bubble/crack B) try and let them repaint and fix it C) see if i can have a replacement factory painted door to replace it oppose to painting. Altho im sure C will cost me out of pocket probaly as they prob wont replace the door for a paint bubble ... apreciate your inputs on the subject

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea except my local dealers guy is just a guy no big name company just a local that does repainting who my dealer claims is best around but i was in the back alley style dump more filth than a mechanics garage i dono my impression wasnt much imo maybe the guy does great work or maybe he screw up my car. Gotta love the unknown

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea i will inquire about it i have to meet with the gm to see what i wanna do sadly they have already buffed the thing to its limit that im comfortable with trying to correct the swirls they installed and when they byffed it to the limit i got a nano gel coating to help hide them.. and im sure if buffing was a option they would have suggested that over painting being the only option thrown out there im assuming due to the slight bubbling if they buff it may damage worse? I dont know im no paint expert i may just leave it as. It does not bother me enuff to risk a whole repaint and if i am not correct if it gets repainted does that not effect resale value?

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Yea except my local dealers guy is just a guy no big name company just a local that does repainting who my dealer claims is best around but i was in the back alley style dump more filth than a mechanics garage i dono my impression wasnt much imo maybe the guy does great work or maybe he screw up my car. Gotta love the unknown
Insist that it go somewhere with an actual paint booth and that you want to talk to the shop before work is done. If this guy doesn't have a paint booth then the dealership can go pound sand. They need to find a real paint shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
for what its worth, we had a mini cooper that was purchased brand new in 2007. About a month after buying it, due to a case of mistaken identity, it got keyed horribly. Every panel was severely damaged, requiring the car to be fully repainted. Insurance paid ~$6k for it to be repainted by the BMW dealership. The work was flawless and the paint was noticeably nicer than the factory paint job. It held up incredibly well over the 11 years we had the car. Still shined beautifully, even after 10 years of being parked outside year round.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am currently dealing with somewhat the same issue. I had 2 raised bumps in my paint on my passenger side door that had then been circled in marker. Took it back to the dealership and they tried to buff and wet sand it nothing worked getting the marker out but the bumps are now gone. They think it was marked on in the factory when the clear coat was still wet so now next week they are giving me a rental and sanding down just the clear coat to see how far down it is. hoping its just down to the clear since thatll be easier to paint and less noticeable..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.