Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has already been discussed.....but I can't seem to find the answer via the search function of the forums. Google didn't help either. So here goes....this is my first FI vehicle. Was never a big fan of FI and was always an all motor kinda guy because of the reliability issues. But it's 2018 and it seems like manufacturers are engineering these turbos to be reliable.

So...newbie question. Does anyone know of a source that they can point to that explains this 1.6L turbo motor and how it works? When does the stock ECU decide to allow the turbo to spool up? Is it based on RPMs? Based on throttle position? Anyone have a dyno sheet of a completely stock car I can look at?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm a bit worried about reliability because I drive in extremely harsh conditions. This is going to be my train station car. So....that means 2 miles to the train station at 6am. Sits in the train station lot for 13 hours. Then 2 miles trip from the train station back home at 7pm. I want to drive it nice an easy and not allow the turbo to spool up if I don't have to (since the car won't even be close to being at normal operating temps).

Just wanted an idea how this motor works so I can be more proactive and drive it like a granny during these short trips to prolong the life of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm sure this has already been discussed.....but I can't seem to find the answer via the search function of the forums. Google didn't help either. So here goes....this is my first FI vehicle. Was never a big fan of FI and was always an all motor kinda guy because of the reliability issues. But it's 2018 and it seems like manufacturers are engineering these turbos to be reliable.

So...newbie question. Does anyone know of a source that they can point to that explains this 1.6L turbo motor and how it works? When does the stock ECU decide to allow the turbo to spool up? Is it based on RPMs? Based on throttle position? Anyone have a dyno sheet of a completely stock car I can look at?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm a bit worried about reliability because I drive in extremely harsh conditions. This is going to be my train station car. So....that means 2 miles to the train station at 6am. Sits in the train station lot for 13 hours. Then 2 miles trip from the train station back home at 7pm. I want to drive it nice an easy and not allow the turbo to spool up if I don't have to (since the car won't even be close to being at normal operating temps).

Just wanted an idea how this motor works so I can be more proactive and drive it like a granny during these short trips to prolong the life of the drivetrain.
Read this page Holset's Guide on How a Turbo Works.

It will explain how a turbocharger works. The computer will not tell the turbo when to spool, the turbocharger in our cars are far from electronic. The boost governing systems are what the computer helps to control. Depending on how heavy my foot is I have seen positive psi on my boost gauge at 2000rpm, but I have also shifted my car at 3500rpm without seeing a positive number on the gauge. Like I stated read the article to learn more about turbochargers in general and perhaps you'll even find all the information you were looking for.

·
Registered
92 Posts
our wastegate actuator have a spring set to something between 3-6 psi. it's the solenoid control by the ECU that alow our car to go over this pressure.
so in your 2 mile trip you don't reach the engine temperature require, by safety, to unleash full power

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depends on how much pressure you apply to the throttle. I have the 6 spd manual and I've noticed Im not in boost as much as i thought. Usually after i shift, if im a little heavy on the gas i may get close to 5 psi but it will quickly fall to vacuum. Your boost will kick in anytime you apply heavy pressure to the gas pedal. In your 2 mile drive, i doubt you will hit much boost and even if you did it wouldnt last very long, let alone cause stress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.