Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and girls which do y'all prefer? I have a Srt4 makes 380+ whp/tq. Going to test drive both auto and manual Elantra sports with in the next few weeks. Which did you y'all opt for and why please share your thoughts. I'll be keeping my Srt4 and getting rid of my forte sx

·
Registered
35 Posts
I test drove the 6 speed but bought the dct. The dealers in my area didnt have a dct to test. And had to locate my car
No one else in my family drives a stick. Also drive in a lot of traffic so a manual would be work not fun at least part of time. They are both very good so it's what fits your requirements

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought DCT because of big city rush hour traffic. If it weren't for that I would have bought a manual transmission. (I still have my Subaru for those fun ripping through gears drives)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the manual would be an excellent car to have if you like stick, but the DCT would be the more convenient (arguably 10% less fun) than the manual. If you are looking at increasing power, I suspect that the manual box would be more durable in the long run. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
214 Posts
get the 6 speed manual its way more exciting to drive. ive only driven manuals my entire life and theres no upside to an auto for me. i dont care about driving in heavy traffic, i do it on a regular basis and it doesnt bother me at all--i dont even think about it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't know where you live, so not sure how bad your traffic is.

I live in a Minneapolis suburb (midsize metro ~3.5 million) and commute to downtown with a manual and its no big deal. Stop and go and all that, it's no big deal. In fact, I think a manual is better, you can leave it in 1st or 2nd and have almost instant power to get into another lane without having to mess with awkward paddle shifters.

I've driven manuals my whole life and find automatics boring, so traffic would have to be pretty bad, like LA or Manhattan traffic, for me to get an automatic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
6MT for me. Never owned an auto until my recent purchase of an Outback Premium last year. Only reason the 'bru is an auto is that in 2015, Subaru stopped making manual transmission available for the Outback.

The ES 6MT is very easy (too much in fact) to drive in traffic with a very forgiving engagement. I don't even realize I'm shifting. My commute is 35 miles each way, 30 of which are highway. About 12 miles are high traffic/slow & go each day.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I own a 6 speed manual. Very pleased with the 6speed. Didn't test drive the DCT but I think buying a DCT with this car would take most of the fun out of it. If you like a 'sports car' definitely go with the 6 speed. If you want comfort and are thinking about ease of driving go for the DCT. But based on the video reviews I've seen many people regret not getting the 6 speed manual as it really is that much more fun.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Manual!!!!!!!

I opted for the manual. Love the control it provides in any vehicle. From holding it to red line to running one gear to high on slippery surfaces like snow and ice to heal toe shifting to entertain yourself while driving. My Taco is a six speed manual as well. Do not need hill descent or crawl control with a manual I can do those task. Manuals are becoming a thing of the past. If you can stir your own gears, buy them while you still can. Once electric takes over the choice will be gone. This is my opinion only. People who prefer autos in any of their forms are just exercising their right to choose. The most important part for us on here is BUY A ELANTRA SPORT. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I test drove both and the decision was very clear for me. I waited an extra week for a car with the DCT. The manual was fantastic, it reminded me of a civic SI. I picked the DCT because it shifts faster than I ever could and it's better fit for my style of driving, even if it's less fun. Also from my experience the DCT in sport mode had more heft in the steering than the manual did as the manual does not have a sport mode. I've driven a dual clutch GTI and though my transmission is much smoother it doesn't shift nearly as fast and occasionally I have to wait a half second for it to change gears. It's not awful but it's far from perfeft.
Drive them both back to back and the decision should be easy for you! I feel like most people prefer the manual.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Also from my experience the DCT in sport mode had more heft in the steering than the manual did as the manual does not have a sport mode.
Might be a placebo or the extra weight from the trans having an effect on DCT steering because the manual cars are always in sport mode. (hence no button)

·
Registered
25 Posts
just want to chime in that the manual is probably going to be more reliable. though Hyundai has a great warranty, its still nice to have peace of mind. no need to follow the rules and precautions that go along with owning a DCT.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.