Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I need your opinions on which intake to get for my 18’ Elantra sport M/T. I’ve seen the K&N & the SXTH Element short intake. I love the sound of the stock turbo & BOV, & I would like to know which intake will make them sound louder. I saw that the SXTH Element intake has different options, for example, OEM Breather / BPV Delete, Breather Delete / BPV Delete, OEM Breather / BPV, & Breather Delete / BPV. I’m not familiar w/ the breather or BPV, so I’d like an explanation/guidance on which set up to get that won’t damange the engine, turbo or anything.

Thanks, I greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I'd like to think that most reputable companies are not going to sell you something that will damage the engine. With that said, the SXTH intake is pretty loud. Most short ram intakes for this car will be fairly loud. The car likes big intakes, so most smaller companies like SXTH will offer them in 3.5" because the car responds to that well. The K&N is only 3". As far as SXTH's options, this is the gist of it:

- Breather delete: this is for the crank case breather. If you look at the stock intake you will see a small tube going to it somewhere along the side or near the turbo. This circulates oil vapors from valve cover into the intake to be burned off. If you select to delete this, then SXTH will cap that port off on the intake and send you a small hose with a filter to put on the valve cover port. Those oil vapors will then vent to the atmosphere. They just cap this port off with a plug so if you decide later on to add the breather port then all you need is the bung to restore the connection.

- BPV delete: this is the "BOV" (actually called a bypass valve on a stock car, hence BPV) When you delete this, there will not be a port on the intake for the recirculation hose so you would remove the hose and just let it vent to atmosphere. This will give you that loud venting noise that you want. (I personally hated the sound of the stock BPV venting, it's not as clean as a real BOV. So I got an intake with the recirculation port)

SXTH also has a new intake coming soon, probably around a month out. It's got a full silicone intake tube and connects to an intake box. Going to be really slick. But it's main purpose is to reduce noise so if you want loud, go with their current setup.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohhh okay, got you, I understand now better. So for what I want in my car do you recommend getting both the breather & the BPV deleted?
Also, when you mentioned about the gas & vapors going back to the intake, does that cause the “pops” in the exhaust? or no?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Ohhh okay, got you, I understand now better. So for what I want in my car do you recommend getting both the breather & the BPV deleted?
Also, when you mentioned about the gas & vapors going back to the intake, does that cause the “pops” in the exhaust? or no?
BPV for sure, breather you can go either way. And no, those don't cause the pops in the exhaust. On the breather, over time it can make the inside of the intake system oily if you don't vent it or feed it to a catch can system.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
okay perfect! then i’ll get the BVP & Breather delete & get the catch can system as well. I can’t wait to start ordering parts! Thank you so much for your help!
If you only go with a single catch can, put it on the PCV side. This puts out a TON of fluid depending on a few factors, but the breather barely puts anything out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.