Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey mates, As you probably saw from my "Hi" post I used to do a lot with cars but not much in past 10-15 years or so.
I have had full ECU remaps (2002 GTI when it was new) and piggy backs (2009 2nd gen Mini Cooper S) so familiar with both.
So on this "new to me" 1 yr old 2019 GT N-Line I am looking for a relaible and easy to turn on and off (20yr old daughter will drive car) tune for use in stupid hot AZ climate.
Will switch to 91 once I get it and will NOT be doing a CAI or SAI, likely just a K&N direct swap filter.
Let me know your thoughts and links to products

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey mates, As you probably saw from my "Hi" post I used to do a lot with cars but not much in past 10-15 years or so.
I have had full ECU remaps (2002 GTI when it was new) and piggy backs (2009 2nd gen Mini Cooper S) so familiar with both.
So on this "new to me" 1 yr old 2019 GT N-Line I am looking for a relaible and easy to turn on and off (20yr old daughter will drive car) tune for use in stupid hot AZ climate.
Will switch to 91 once I get it and will NOT be doing a CAI or SAI, likely just a K&N direct swap filter.

Cheers
Mark
hey mark, i have a jb4 uni on my 18 ES and love it it offers a few different maps depending on you setup and even a valet map that take 50 % of the power id check them out and even give them an email if you have any questions. in my experience there customer service is great! they also have a forum that you can post logs and admins will check them out and tell you if anything should be adjusted or answer any other questions you might have https://burgertuning.com/

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
JB4 or Lap3 ProTuner are probably the best you will get as far as piggybacks go. I know Burger Tuning is actively trying to update the maps for these and other cars because many are having issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
JB4 or Lap3 ProTuner are probably the best you will get as far as piggybacks go. I know Burger Tuning is actively trying to update the maps for these and other cars because many are having issues.
you are right the 1.6 is pretty fresh to burger tuning but as far as right now goes there keeping up with the demand, just released a fresh update for our 1.6 models as far as the 19-20 goes im not sure how the compatibility goes for them, i know the engine should be the same but the turner uses the canbus system so i dont know if the obd system is the same or not which is way i tell people to shoot them an email or even call there great to get along to deal with!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
you are right the 1.6 is pretty fresh to burger tuning but as far as right now goes there keeping up with the demand, just released a fresh update for our 1.6 models as far as the 19-20 goes im not sure how the compatibility goes for them, i know the engine should be the same but the turner uses the canbus system so i dont know if the obd system is the same or not which is way i tell people to shoot them an email or even call there great to get along to deal with!
The issue is they released maps for the older 1.6 cars which use a different turbo and have many other differences. I think they assume it would work here too and that's not the case. But they are actively trying to correct it.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Cheers
Mark
I have on my 2017 ES the RaceChip GTS and I love it. You can pick from 7 maps that will go from fuel economy all the way to maximum performance (race mode) it is super easy to install and it has a Bluetooth capabilities to connect to your phone and with a app you can change the maps and even customize when the module kick in after certain time etc. It is made in Germany and the customer service it is top notch. They have their office in CA for USA customers. They even asked if I have any mods on the car so they can customize the maps for my vehicle. You can even transferred the module to another vehicle if you choose to sell your car and get the module remap for the new vehicle out of cost and just need to purchase the new harness for it. But that option it is one time only with the purchase of the GTS version. Go to their website and if you have any questions either email them or call. I highly recommend it. Specially because it is all made in Germany and not China so the quality of thr product it is top notch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I am currently not looking to spend anything over $500 at this time and only have access to 91 here in AZ from Costco (not spending extra $$ elsewhere) I have sent an email off to Racechip to get a better understand of differences between the 3 products in full detail. I will likely get RS plus app control as likely the extra $100 for GTS wont give me much more on 91 with limited mods. May do K&N drop-in and also going to look at modding the stock box to source more air as I did on the 2002 VW GTI. If my work goes well this may be a short lived vehicle that I "sell" to my daughter as I have my sights on something else more like my previously leased 2007 545i with Eisenmann sport exhaust

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have on my 2017 ES the RaceChip GTS and I love it. You can pick from 7 maps that will go from fuel economy all the way to maximum performance (race mode) it is super easy to install and it has a Bluetooth capabilities to connect to your phone and with a app you can change the maps and even customize when the module kick in after certain time etc. It is made in Germany and the customer service it is top notch. They have their office in CA for USA customers. They even asked if I have any mods on the car so they can customize the maps for my vehicle. You can even transferred the module to another vehicle if you choose to sell your car and get the module remap for the new vehicle out of cost and just need to purchase the new harness for it. But that option it is one time only with the purchase of the GTS version. Go to their website and if you have any questions either email them or call. I highly recommend it. Specially because it is all made in Germany and not China so the quality of thr product it is top notch.
IMHO, hard to see how they can effectively adjust the maps for you without the car being present. They're not even asking for datalogs to see what needs to be tweaked. One of the main reasons I stay away from these piggybacks.
As I am currently not looking to spend anything over $500 at this time and only have access to 91 here in AZ from Costco (not spending extra $$ elsewhere) I have sent an email off to Racechip to get a better understand of differences between the 3 products in full detail. I will likely get RS plus app control as likely the extra $100 for GTS wont give me much more on 91 with limited mods. May do K&N drop-in and also going to look at modding the stock box to source more air as I did on the 2002 VW GTI. If my work goes well this may be a short lived vehicle that I "sell" to my daughter as I have my sights on something else more like my previously leased 2007 545i with Eisenmann sport exhaust
If you MUST go with a piggyback, JB4 is far better than RaceChip. In fact, the used Lap3 ProTuner that was just listed on this site for sale is a better option. Also, for more air in the box just buy a Big Mouth inlet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the Racechip GTS was already discounted to $500 and was considering the RS for $400 but price check last Labor day weekend and $100 more off GTS making it same as RS so decided to give it a go (as we say in AU) Also picked up a drop-in K&N for now for 20% off.
Will update once I receive and test it but I did notice the stock airbox has a LOT of space next to it and below to the right so may do a similar project to what I did on my 2002 VW GTI and cut a secondary hole in the right side of lower airbox and route some air using DIY pipes from front rad area to give 2 pipes feeding the stock airbox (I like to tinker)

·
Registered
9 Posts
FYI. Racechip can see your data log with the app. They can tweaked the maps as need it. And then you download the new map to the racechip unit via app. I did that and works fine. They actually create the initial maps base on a test stock car on their dyno. The power gain is noticeable over stock car, plus driving long trips on a road trip I average 40 MPG with 4 people in the car at 70 MPH. I think there is no better bang for through money when you are looking just a bit more performance from your car and keep a smile on your face when doing spirit driving. But if you are looking for full power and all you can get from the engine definitely a proper tune is the way to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI. Racechip can see your data log with the app. They can tweaked the maps as need it. And then you download the new map to the racechip unit via app. I did that and works fine. They actually create the initial maps base on a test stock car on their dyno. The power gain is noticeable over stock car, plus driving long trips on a road trip I average 40 MPG with 4 people in the car at 70 MPH. I think there is no better bang for through money when you are looking just a bit more performance from your car and keep a smile on your face when doing spirit driving. But if you are looking for full power and all you can get from the engine definitely a proper tune is the way to go.
I agree and in my experience fine for an N-line like mine.
Now if I had an actual Elantra/i30 N model I would be looking for a similarly very experienced tuner to actually reprogram the ECU as APR etc do for the VAG group ECU's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts