Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. So I'm kind of in a predicament in that I want to add some power to my Elantra SR. Previously, I was running a RaceChip S, but after installing the Pierburg 3-port boost solenoid, I started running into boost cut issues. I have since removed it from the car and are running the stock tune. I have heard fantastic things about the JB4 tuner and at $800 AUD with shipping, it's a tempting proposition. However, I have also heard fantastic things about SXTH Element's ECU calibrations, however, I would be down $1,200 AUD. I am also unsure whether SXTH can calibrate my ECU seeing as I am located in Australia. In the long term, I do not plan on going crazy with modifications as I intend on keeping the car relatively stealthy and I can't afford to dump thousands into an intercooler, downpipe etc. I would love to hear your experiences with either option.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
As mentioned before I was having trouble with my Racechip RS after putting in the Pierburg valve in.. Since the RS has 6 tuning maps, I 1st tried putting it in No1, then No2, then No3.
I felt that on map 3, it was pretty close in power to the previous map 6 with the stock valve.. I gave it a quick try with map 4 & there was no fall off with boost. But need to test under more conditions
My understanding is that the Racechip S has 5 maps.. So maybe try on the lower maps & see what your outcome is... If you still want to look into not using the Racechip & going down another path.
I would try either N Garage Home | N Garage Or Cherry Tuning Cherry Tuning & Performance Or Dynomotive Auto Dynomotive - Home of Unichip Australia
All are in Australia & can offer something locally

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As mentioned before I was having trouble with my Racechip RS after putting in the Pierburg valve in.. Since the RS has 6 tuning maps, I 1st tried putting it in No1, then No2, then No3.
I felt that on map 3, it was pretty close in power to the previous map 6 with the stock valve.. I gave it a quick try with map 4 & there was no fall off with boost. But need to test under more conditions
My understanding is that the Racechip S has 5 maps.. So maybe try on the lower maps & see what your outcome is... If you still want to look into not using the Racechip & going down another path.
I would try either N Garage Home | N Garage Or Cherry Tuning Cherry Tuning & Performance Or Dynomotive Auto Dynomotive - Home of Unichip Australia
All are in Australia & can offer something locally
Yeah, my RaceChip S has 5 maps. I was previously running map 5 before installing the Pierburg boost solenoid but after a few days, I started boost cutting on wot from 3rd to 4th gear, would then have to drive in limp mode. I then starting going down in maps and the issue persisted and it started getting annoying putting up with the boost cuts, so I removed the RaceChip altogether. I'm kind of enjoying the stock tune though with the upgraded solenoid and the car is definitely no slouch (still leaves SV6s and XR6s behind 😄). I'm still on the fence on which tuning route I'll go down, since I have other maintenance items to take care of (new set of tyres and intake valve blast). Thanks for leaving some other options, really appreciate it !!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, my RaceChip S has 5 maps. I was previously running map 5 before installing the Pierburg boost solenoid but after a few days, I started boost cutting on wot from 3rd to 4th gear, would then have to drive in limp mode. I then starting going down in maps and the issue persisted and it started getting annoying putting up with the boost cuts, so I removed the RaceChip altogether. I'm kind of enjoying the stock tune though with the upgraded solenoid and the car is definitely no slouch (still leaves SV6s and XR6s behind 😄). I'm still on the fence on which tuning route I'll go down, since I have other maintenance items to take care of (new set of tyres and intake valve blast). Thanks for leaving some other options, really appreciate it !!
Interesting that you still had trouble with other maps.. As so far up to map 3 on mine seems to be ok.. I do need to do further driving to really confirm..
I was getting boost cuts really bad on map 6, to where it was feeling slower than stock.. The stock tune with the Pierburg valve is a huge improvement..
Power feels a lot smoother all the way to redline.. Really it should've been like that from standard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting that you still had trouble with other maps.. As so far up to map 3 on mine seems to be ok.. I do need to do further driving to really confirm..
I was getting boost cuts really bad on map 6, to where it was feeling slower than stock.. The stock tune with the Pierburg valve is a huge improvement..
Power feels a lot smoother all the way to redline.. Really it should've been like that from standard.
Yeah that would definitely get annoying to put up with, seeing as map 6 is the balls to the wall setting ahahaha. Yeah stock tune at the moment feels so smooth with the Pierburg valve, the improvement is noticeable enough that I would rather have the smoothness over the extra power from the RaceChip with a surging valve. Still on the fence about going for more power but so far, car feels great and just focusing on keeping her running perfectly!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts