Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm Mone from Toronto, and just joined this Forum. I've bought (but not yet received) a White 2017 Sport. I originally was going to buy a regular Elantra, and ended up getting a free car (more like a beater), and then found out that a Sport would be available at some point. I'm now (soon to be), a new owner. And very excited.

Because I'm a resident of Toronto, we get winter weather, and I am researching a winter tire and steel rim combination. I'm not sure what is available? I know there are some concerns, with front wheel caliper size, and perhaps some other things...

I was hoping other members could suggest or share what they have come up with in this area. I'm looking for (if it works), a 16 in steel rim, and a tire, that is the same overall size as the stock 18 in rim and tire. Also, if nessassary to get the tire sensors.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The spare is a 16" wheel.

A 6.5" wide wheel with an offset around 30 will sit about the same outer position as the stock wheels. A 7" wide wheel with a 40mm offset will sit about the same as the stock wheels.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Tires.

The front rotors are to large for 16" wheels. The 17" that come on the higher end regular Elantras will fit for the stud pattern and are large enough on their inside diameter to calipers. Any winter wheel and tire combo that you would run on a Elantra limited should work fine on the Sport. There is a tire comparison chart online to verify the outside tire diameter. I may be selling my truck and if I do I will be buying winter tires and wheels for the ES. Look at Canadian Tire for there selection and some idea of price. I am in NB Canada so I am looking at some snow as well. lol.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The front rotors are to large for 16" wheels. The 17" that come on the higher end regular Elantras will fit for the stud pattern and are large enough on their inside diameter to calipers. Any winter wheel and tire combo that you would run on a Elantra limited should work fine on the Sport. There is a tire comparison chart online to verify the outside tire diameter. I may be selling my truck and if I do I will be buying winter tires and wheels for the ES. Look at Canadian Tire for there selection and some idea of price. I am in NB Canada so I am looking at some snow as well. lol.
The SPARE is a 16. (125/80-16) A 16 therefore will fit...to further confirm my suspicions, I test-fit my 16x8 ET50 FD RX7 wheels. No Problem. The clearance between the wheel and caliper was about 1/2"--meaning *maybe* certain 15" wheels might just fit as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The SPARE is a 16. (125/80-16) A 16 therefore will fit...to further confirm my suspicions, I test-fit my 16x8 ET50 FD RX7 wheels. No Problem. The clearance between the wheel and caliper was about 1/2"--meaning *maybe* certain 15" wheels might just fit as well.
I did not know. thank you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Price wise, I've never found any off season deals. I think the best time to start comparison shopping is when Canadian Tire starts doing their "buy 3 tires, get the 4th tire free" sales on pure winter tires. That's the point in time when they and all the retailers have received their pile of winters.

By the way, Tire Rack is showing 15" wheel and tire packages for our car, including steelies plus other rims. They generally won't show a size that doesn't fit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Price wise, I've never found any off season deals. I think the best time to start comparison shopping is when Canadian Tire starts doing their "buy 3 tires, get the 4th tire free" sales on pure winter tires. That's the point in time when they and all the retailers have received their pile of winters.

By the way, Tire Rack is showing 15" wheel and tire packages for our car, including steelies plus other rims. They generally won't show a size that doesn't fit.
There's a seller on eBay that lists 16" Elantra SE takeoff rims with TPMS installed for under $300 shipped. It's an awesome deal for snow set wheels. I'm not sure how many they have left but that's worth looking into.

My set isn't in the most amazing of shape (they have some scratches from storage) but for the money I don't care. I'd much rather have these over steelies and OEM tire pressure sensors FTW!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All,

Thank you for replying to this thread. It was very helpful. There is also another thread about winter tires and rims. I will go with a set of 16" since it seems that 16's will be no problem. Also, Canadian Tire may be a good resource. Thank you all for taking the time to provide your input.

I just got my Elantra Sport, and I have to admit, Hyundai has come a long way from the Pony and Stellar. I am very impressed with the car, and also my buying experience.

PS. And this forum/community has been helpful, of course!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi All,

Thank you for replying to this thread. It was very helpful. There is also another thread about winter tires and rims. I will go with a set of 16" since it seems that 16's will be no problem. Also, Canadian Tire may be a good resource. Thank you all for taking the time to provide your input.

I just got my Elantra Sport, and I have to admit, Hyundai has come a long way from the Pony and Stellar. I am very impressed with the car, and also my buying experience.

PS. And this forum/community has been helpful, of course!
Keep an eye on Kijiji. I found four new stock alloy rims for $50 total!

·
Registered
84 Posts
16's should fit according to Hyundai

This is right from Hyundai's Build and Price section under accessories:

"Steel Wheel (6.5Jx16)"
"Mount your winter tires on a set of Hyundai steel wheels and spare your alloy wheels from the corrosion caused by salt and slush."

I get my car next weekend and I'm going to try some 16" Alloy's that I bought for my wife's 2014 Elantra GT.

Course, no one at the dealership where I bought my car could either confirm or deny if 16's would fit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Inlovewithsue,

It would be great if you could confirm this! I and I'm sure a whole other bunch of people are curious to confirm if this will fit. Let me know how it all makes out (especially the front!). Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just tried putting my 16" Winter rims from my Elantra GT onto the ES. There is about 1/8" of clearance between the inside edge of the rim and the Caliper on the fronts. That's way too close for my liking. The wheel moved freely, but the rim and caliper were almost touching. I'm not sure how much clearance there needs to be, but that looked awfully close.

I think I'm just going to get another set of 17" rims for my winters - the tires are only about $50CDN more than the same 16" - and I'll feel a lot better knowing there is more room in there.

We get a lot of snow and ice buildup here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Inlovewithsue,

Thank you for your feedback. That's a great point. The snow and ice build up on the inner rim. Did you take a pic of how close the caliper was to the inner rim?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just tried putting my 16" Winter rims from my Elantra GT onto the ES. There is about 1/8" of clearance between the inside edge of the rim and the Caliper on the fronts. That's way too close for my liking. The wheel moved freely, but the rim and caliper were almost touching. I'm not sure how much clearance there needs to be, but that looked awfully close.

I think I'm just going to get another set of 17" rims for my winters - the tires are only about $50CDN more than the same 16" - and I'll feel a lot better knowing there is more room in there.

Thanks for the specific info. Your alloys would have much more inside "depth" than steelies, and it would depend on your wheel design too. What you found would be a real problem in some conditions!

I wonder if we could get feedback from someone who tries 16" steelies, to see if this lack of clearance is also a problem with them?

·
Registered
188 Posts

If it clears, you're good to go. Nothing to worry about.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts