Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started my car today and was greeted with this:

-Check engine light
-ABS warning light
-EPS warning light
-Parking brake warning light
-Low tire pressure warning light (I checked all 4 tires, they were fine)
-ESC indicator light
-Check TPMS warning

-None of my gauges work except for the fuel gauge (RPM gauge occasionally flutters to 2k RPM for half a second)
-No power steering
-AC doesn't blow cold air

I made an appointment with the dealer, but I just wanted to see if anyone here had any clue what's causing all this stuff to go nuts out of nowhere. Car's been completely fine up to this point.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Take a look around under the hood. Critters may have had a little snack.

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport
12 Posts
Check your battery I know sometimes when cars batteries are low it causes computer to go haywire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check your battery I know sometimes when cars batteries are low it causes computer to go haywire.
I don't have a battery tester and my appointment with the dealer is tomorrow morning anyways, I think you might be right but I'll just see what they say tomorrow and update u guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So I took the car into the dealer on Monday after making an appointment on Friday. When I made the appointment and when I brought the car in, I told them I was gonna wait even though they said it could be a few hours (it's my only car so I need it). Monday rolls by and when I go to start the car, everything works fine, having none of the issues I brought up in the OP, except for the check engine light. I go to the dealer and give them the car, guy leads me to the waiting room.

I'm there for 3 hours before I decide to go ask and see what's going on. They hadn't even brought the car in and the guy told me it could be a few more hours as their shop was backed up. He told me he would call/text me with updates, and they gave me a 'courtesy ride' home. Rest of the day passes and nothing; today rolls by and I call them around noon and he tells me that their technician started up the car and there was no check engine light, but they could see from scanning it that it had had codes. He told me that they had to check with the shop foreman on what to do and he'd call me back with an update in 2 or 3 hours. 4 hours pass and I text him and he responds telling me that the shop foreman still hasn't had a chance to look at it. I responded back and said I'm just coming to pick up the car.

I take an uber there and see my car sitting in the lot where it had been parked when I dropped it off yesterday. I go in and tell them I wanna pick my car up, the guy tells me "Yeah the technicians finishing up your car right now, just wait a second and he'll bring it out for you."
I point at my car and go "That's my car right there" and she says oh I don't know you'll have to talk to the service manager. I go over to him and he says the same exact thing. "Yeah the technician's finishing up your car right now bla bla bla" And I go "He's finishing up my car?" He says "Yeah" and I go "But that's my car right there" and point at it. He says "Uh yeah we're finishing up another car then we're gonna bring your car in" and I go "Just give me my keys"

Getting into my car I see that there's no longer a check engine light and everything's fine. I went to Advance auto parts and bought an OBD scanner/battery and alternator tester. Battery and alternator test good. I cleared the codes and so far nothing's come back. If the CEL comes back I'll scan it myself and see what's wrong wrong with it.

TLDR:
-Shitty dealer
-Warning lights and CEL went away
-Bought OBD scanner, if CEL comes back I'll scan it myself and see what's up. If it's something I can fix myself I'll do that, if not I'll take it to a different dealer.
-Not sure if name dropping is cool here, if anyone wants to know what dealer it was just message me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Started my car today and was greeted with this:

-Check engine light
-ABS warning light
-EPS warning light
-Parking brake warning light
-Low tire pressure warning light (I checked all 4 tires, they were fine)
-ESC indicator light
-Check TPMS warning

-None of my gauges work except for the fuel gauge (RPM gauge occasionally flutters to 2k RPM for half a second)
-No power steering
-AC doesn't blow cold air

I made an appointment with the dealer, but I just wanted to see if anyone here had any clue what's causing all this stuff to go nuts out of nowhere. Car's been completely fine up to this point.
Hmm, yesterday, headed for the freeway, Suddenly, my TPMS warning and lo tire pressure lights lit up. I immediately pulled over; scrolled to the tire pressure indicator; noticed that the right rear tire indicator was blinking; checked the tire visually; appeared OK; retrieved my tire pressure gauge; checked the tire; 34.5 PSI; scratched my head; got back in and drove off with the local tire center in mind. After a few feet, the lights disappeared, and haven't lit up since...I wonder, if all of the electronic stuff they're putting in these cars are causing false warnings. This is a problem most notable with the Mercedes Benz S-Class.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hmm, yesterday, headed for the freeway, Suddenly, my TPMS warning and lo tire pressure lights lit up. I immediately pulled over; scrolled to the tire pressure indicator; noticed that the right rear tire indicator was blinking; checked the tire visually; appeared OK; retrieved my tire pressure gauge; checked the tire; 34.5 PSI; scratched my head; got back in and drove off with the local tire center in mind. After a few feet, the lights disappeared, and haven't lit up since...I wonder, if all of the electronic stuff they're putting in these cars are causing false warnings. This is a problem most notable with the Mercedes Benz S-Class.
Did you hit a pothole? Sometimes if you run over something hard enough it'll make the sensor freak out for a bit and then it'll return to normal. Happened to me once in 78k miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts