Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I look for my first set of winter tires, an idea came to mind: why not buy a nice set of Dai Oracles for summer and use the current stock wheels - which I really like - for winter?

Do you think they would survive Toronto winters with all the salt and stuff, or would they be quickly ruined?

Steelies would save a bunch, but maybe it's time once in my life to splurge a bit on aesthetics. Unless steelies are really the way to go on winter over my aforementioned combination?

Pretty tough to decide on my first winter set, so any tips are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you can wash, decontaminate, maybe polish/compound the wheels, and prep the wheels for a coating or sealant, they’ll be good to go.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra Sport Manual
3 Posts
I wouldn't wreck the factory rims driving them in winter. If you look around at people that leave their alloys on for winters, you can see the corrosion from salt and wet brines they use on our roads. Plus don't forget if it's going to be a very COLD winter, the alloys will leak air as the aluminum will retract in winter cold and the steel rims don't have that issue.
Get yourself a set of steel rims and buy a set of nice hub caps for $50.00 to $75.00 and forget about it.
Just my meandering opinion!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can wash, decontaminate, maybe polish/compound the wheels, and prep the wheels for a coating or sealant, they’ll be good to go.
So they do require way more work than steelies would, correct? What material is that anyway? Doesn't look like your usual alloy wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't wreck the factory rims driving them in winter. If you look around at people that leave their alloys on for winters, you can see the corrosion from salt and wet brines they use on our roads. Plus don't forget if it's going to be a very COLD winter, the alloys will leak air as the aluminum will retract in winter cold and the steel rims don't have that issue.
Get yourself a set of steel rims and buy a set of nice hub caps for $50.00 to $75.00 and forget about it.
Just my meandering opinion!
Ha. That makes a lot of sense. And buying the aftermarket wheels just to have the factory ones taking up space at home wouldn't make much sense, so I guess the good looking Dai Oracle rims will have to wait.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found used Genesis 18" Alloys with snow tires. Ends up being a lot cheaper than a new pair. Now I'm wording if I should bother or just get Steeles.

My other preference was having larger tire walls, maybe reduced steeles to 16".

Can't decide

·
Registered
6 Posts
Downsizing to 205/55-16 narrower winter tires will provide better traction during winter months. Also 16's cost much less than 18's 👍

·
Registered
6 Posts
Found used Genesis 18" Alloys with snow tires. Ends up being a lot cheaper than a new pair. Now I'm wording if I should bother or just get Steeles.

My other preference was having larger tire walls, maybe reduced steeles to 16".

Can't decide
Gen Coupe wheels won't fit. Were you gonna buy my set? hehe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts