Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I just noticed the other day that my 2 front tires are beginning to split/crack down the sidewalls around the Ventus logo. ( hankook ventus s1 ) and these are the factory tires that came on car new.
I called my dealer and they said I needed to contact Hankook about it and hankook emailed me back saying i need to go to my dealer/ retailer .
Has anyone had this problem with their tires?
I'll try and post picture tomorrow after work
Thank You

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I never had that problem, but that would be a dealer warranty issue depending on how many miles are on them.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
At 32k you probably won't get them replaced under warranty. Time for some new tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And that’s what I think as well . You have experience with any brand other than hankook looking at khumo or falken. I would put the firehawk on them but it’s the wife’s car so need something with mileage warranty

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2018 ES and my front tires did the exact same thing I just replaced all four of them on my own I probably should’ve contacted Hankook

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good luck. I had similar issues with the my 13 veloster. I never got more than 20 thousand miles out of any tire. The tires would crack and lose pliability. Long story short, I went through 9 tires by the 50 thousand mile mark. I had cracks like you had in the picture on my last set, hit a pothole and the tire split at the crack. I didn't lose control of the vehicle, but that was tire number 9. I was told that I was using too much tire shine (I shine at every detailing) or some other crap. I switched to a waterbased tire shine for my ES, but lost one tire at the 6 month mark to a bubble. I don't really care this time though, I purchased the tire protection package, so when I lose a tire, I call up and get a new one. No questions asked.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have problems with the stock Ventus S1 Noble2 on my car as well. There are a lot of minute cracks visible along the sidewalls of the tire. And the rubber material has hardened considerably. Maybe b'cos the tires were made in early 2016 and have seen quite a few season changes. Also two of them have pothole damage though not really serious. I am aware of the exact time the damage was done and I feel that a pothole of the size I dropped into shouldn't have done so much damage. I have since then replaced the rims and the tires with Elantra GT rims and Michelin XI3 winter tires. I'm planning to get better tires for the summer when the stock rims go back on. For information the 17 inch rims and 225/45 tires have really improved the ride of this car. Much more than I expected. With the 18 inchers and stock tires it used to crash through imperfections on the road but with the 17 inchers all I can hear are muted thumps. I'm not sure I want to go back to the 18 inch rims. This is what the GT rims look like on my ES. I like the look and there's no need to reconfigure the TPMS. It's picked up automatically. Sorry for the high snow level though. This is after clearing out a path for the door to open :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tires

This has been a common complaint on this forum I myself had the same issue and had to replace all four tires. My personal opinion, is that there is a inherent issue with these tires I’m surprised there hasn’t been some sort of recall on these.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is how it looks on both front tires same area too. Tires have 32xxx miles I never rotated them at dealer did it myself and I’m afraid they will try and say that was the cause. But I doubt tire rotation would cause this
Dealer will not cover the tire, they will probably say you ran the tires on low air pressure! These tires right around 20k - 30k miles new tires! Unfortunately!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My stock Hankooks are actually doing pretty well. They were manufactured in mid 2017 and have around 19K miles on them and the tread still is pretty decent. I am surprised, especially since they have been tracked twice.

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport
2 Posts
Glad to see I’m not the only one. Definitely going to see if there is a recall if not there should be one.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Glad to see I’m not the only one. Definitely going to see if there is a recall if not there should be one.
There's not. I would just replace with better tires anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your screwed. I had the same problem with my veloster. They will have you replace the tire. Had to replace tires either for this or from sidewall bubbles every 25000 miles ish. A total of 9 over 5 years. With this car I bought a tire package that covers any tires on the car so long as they are not EOL. I have only replaced one due to side wall bulge, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts